Wednesday 1 August 2012

Sorry for the gap

I hate people that say "sorry, but I've been busy" so I won't use that line. I'll just try and let you know what's been going on.

I've been up to Whistler a few times to go biking now that Adam is back in town. SO great to have someone to hit the hill with up there. Biking can be a bit of a bore by yourself, and I'm really not that good at meeting new people. Biking with Adam is great for me, because he pushes me to do better. It's never stale or stagnant around him. He knows exactly what I should be capable of and always tries to get me to take it up a notch. There are some new trails up in Whistler this year, so they are fun to explore, along with all the old trusty stand-by trails. It's a late start to the year; Adam was here in May last year, and it's August already and he just showed up. I think I got in about 30+ days on the hill last year, and I'll probably be around half that this year, but still fun times.

I think my running has paid off up in Whistler. For the most part, I'm standing up when biking from the top of the hill down, so I'm relying on my legs a lot. I haven't had many epic days up there this year, but I've not had any where my legs are just aching. There are times when you are going down certain trails and you can't stop, no matter how much your muscles are burning. You stop, and your done.

Usually I'd be taking a bit more time off during the summer to do more biking, but Adam doesn't have his own place this year, and work has kept me a bit occupied. I'm enjoying it though, and the days seem to just fly by. You can tell your enjoying your work, when your not staring at the clock all day long, just willing it to get to 5pm. As much as I would love to be up biking more this year, it just might not be in the cards.

Work is going exceptionally well. I'm really getting a handle on everything. It's a huge accomplishment what I've done so far, (at least I think so), considering I had to jump in, and just go with it. I've taken 7 companies, and had to figure out what's been done, whats needed, continue with all the incoming working, contact all the restaurants and work with them. Plus, as I'm taking over for someone that is not there, there was no training, and also, a lot of mistakes I'm finding done by the previous accountant, so I'm fixing all that too. It's a real mental challenge, probably the biggest in my life, and it's going fairly smoothly.

But enough of blaming the person before me, and the uber-boring chat of accounting. The work environment is fantastic. I'm really enjoying the team I work with, and they all seem really excited I'm on board. One of the guys brought his dog into work one day. I loved that, nothing makes a work environment more wonderful than a pet. Dog, cat, fish, I don't care which, every workplace should have a pet. I had those Chinese fighting fish in Victoria for about 2 or 3 years. I used to look over at them to find them staring at me (or something close to me).

It's been difficult to keep up with my running, but I'm still getting out there. My Nike GPS Watch will start to flash messages at me like "are we going running tonight?". I'm feeling good out there, but this last stretch I missed 5 days, yikes. Need to figure that out, and fix it.

I know I haven't talked much about dating on my blog, but there isn't anything going on in that area of my life, but there is not much I can do about it, so I just put on a brave face, and try to move forward. I will be honest, and wish I had someone waiting at home for me now, with this new job, wanting to know how my day went, how are the people I'm working with. I know I have friends and family that are asking me, a text, email, phone call, but it really doesn't compare to sitting on the couch and getting to talk about what's going on in your life right now.

Oh well, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Who said that? anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment