Saturday 24 November 2012

It Never Rains, It Pours

Unless you live on the west coast, where it never pours, it just rains.

Last week was so busy for me. I had lots of company and lots of events going on. It was great to finally see some friends, although I was pretty tired by the end of it all.

Nick (from Winnipeg) came in a week ago for business. He's the rep for biking/sporting goods and many of the head offices (Sugi & Ryder) are out here in Vancouver. He was here for a few days, but I only got to see him as I picked him up at the airport and we went for breakfast at the Elbow Room Cafe. It's OK that i only saw him for breakfast, as I always believe it's not how long you spend with someone for a visit, what is more important is the fact that you made a bit of time to see each other face to face and catch up over, say, breakfast?


With Nick's new professional life as repping for these companies, he needed a little help with his accounting, so I volunteered, and to repay me, Nick gave me one of his bikes. I've been wanting a bike to get around the city and to work when it's nice out. For one reason or another, Nick was able to spare a beautiful Devinci "Oslo". OMG the bike is perfect and exactly what I needed for Vancouver. I can't thank Nick enough for this. It's super light, it has fenders (for when it rains, not pours), it's even got reflective tires so I'm more apt to not get run over at night. I promptly went to Mountain Equipment Co-op and beefed up my bike lock system. I never want to lose this bike.


Friday eve Sarah came into town from Victoria. She's in the final push in her CGA studies, which brings her to Vancouver for studying at UBC every couple of weeks. It was great that she came over, as I really needed a good friend on Friday night. We went out to The Yaletown Brewpub where we had pizza & beer, and I was able to pour my heart out to her. You know those times when you need someone to listen to you. I wasn't looking for advice or a kind word or for her to help with my problems, I just needed her to sit there, listen and nod. thanks buddy.


With Sarah off to UBC on Saturday morning, I headed into work for the morning/afternoon until another gang of good friends came over on the ferry for the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert. Larry, Rachelle and Dan where staying with me, and Kenny and Megan were going to meet up with us at my place before the concert. I've only been out on the west coast for about 6 years, but these 5 friends are the ones that go right back to the beginning. Camping trips, ski trips, hockey games, concerts, birthday dinners, the list goes on what we do together. With me in Vancouver now, it was great to get back together with them all.

Megan & Rachelle. Megan just had little baby Frank a few months ago. She looks great and happy and doesn't look as tired as she claims (though I'm pretty sure she would love a solid 8 hours soon).


Larry, Dan and Kent. Along with some frosty beers, we got into my liquor cabinet and were tasting some of my whiskeys on had. It's nice to have friends over to try them out.


Before the concert we went to the Hurricane Grill. It's an awesome little restaurant/bar that serves great food, has great service and has (and I quote) "the best nachos I've ever had"


The Concert was amazing. Both Flea and Anthony are both 50 years old, and they were performing like they were 20. Flea looks so amazing, abs, muscles, zero body fat and when he took to the mike I had to giggle at his child like, squeaky voice, and then felt warm and fuzzy as he profusely thanked the crowd as if it was his first concert.


The gang having the time of their life


The RHCP concert was a huge surprise to me. Yeah it was a "rock concert" but those guys are very musical and talented. The guitar/bass got together for a "solo", the drummer was amazing. They had a few more musicians in the back (keyboards, percussion). It was totally worth $90. It's always great when it's a sold out show. Oh, and yes, EVERYONE sang along to Under the Bridge.


After the concert we took went to The Two Parrots, a pub close to my place. It's a very relaxing place with a good atmosphere, pretty good food, cheap. It's kind of a younger crowd. We didn't stay long though, maybe we are getting too old, so it was back to my place for a night cap, and everyone getting tucked into bed.

The next morning, with me the last one struggling out of bed, we headed to The Oxford for brunch and to watch and NFL game. Larry is a big Cowboys fan and they were playing. Nick from Victoria had taken the ferry over in the morning and had joined us for the Western Final CFL game at BC Place. The guys were all into Caesar's and shooters, where Rachelle and I stuck to tea and coffee.

Me and Larry at the game.


The Lions vs the Stamps. BC lost, but it was still a good game. I'm still a bit of a Bomber fan, so I didn't care too much that my new home team lost. I just enjoy being at the stadium.


Rachelle and Nick (in BC Lion orange)


After my friends left on Sunday, I was pretty much wiped out. I had a great afternoon nap on the sofa, and then I drove up Davie St and picked up some Vietnamese Pho soup. So good and exactly what i needed before bed (at about 8pm)/


Monday morning at work was tuff, but I was able to make it through the day/week as our new espresso machine got hooked up.


sometimes it really is the little things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment