Sunday 27 May 2012

aaaahhhhh The Weekend Off

yes, I had the weekend off. No visitors, not tax returns, no "mandatory" overtime, but the weekend still filled up, as I got caught up on a few errands, including a relaxing car ride to North Van where I stopped at a little roadside shop and picked up some local honey and fresh cherries. I also paid a visit to The Honest Butcher (http://www.thehonestbutcher.com/) and got some stewing beef and hand sliced bacon.

Friday after work, I snuck in a great 5K on my new shoes, "outside",,, sweet, and I knocked 3 minutes off my best time. Then it was off to Moxie's to meet up with Kelly (from Victoria). He was in town visiting friends, so we all went out for dinner. They went out partying after dinner, but for me it was home to bed. Saturday I spend the day trying to get my place together, and that led me to some cool used furniture stores on Main St. I was in 3 tiny stores for over an hour, just looking at everything, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Big brother Kevin (disillusioned with my blog on facial cleansers)  asked for a blog on my guitars. Well, I don't think I can do that in just one blog, so I thought I would break it up a bit over a few. Here is my Martin & Co D-15.

I love this guitar. About 6 years ago, after years of trusty service from an old "department store" guitar, it was time to get my but to Long & McQuade and and get a new one. I had a limit of $500 for a new guitar. It wasn't like I was going on tour the next day. But after trying 3 or 4  guitars the sales person just grabbed this off the wall and said this"try this one out". It was a bit more than I had planned to spend, but it was totally worth it.


It was love at first strum. I have since installed an internal active pickup, with a volume switch at the top of the sound hole (on the inside). And with all things that don't sit in a china cabinet, it's getting it's fair share of bumps and bruises. The first was a small hole in the side that was repaired in Victoria. More recently I've bumped the front of the guitar on something, and put a two inch crack in the front that's about to get repaired here in Vancouver. I'll keep you posted on that.


With my move to Vancouver, my Marshall amp seemed a bit too big for the place, so, I was back to Long & McQuade and with a high recommendation of a product they probably have 40,000 of in the back and the incredibly tantalising price of a $100, I picked up a "Fender Mustang I" practice amp.

 
This amp is so awesome. For the size and the price I can't believe how good it sounds and the features it has. Preset sounds, effects, a tuner, internet ready (though I've yet to plug it into the internet), it's got it all.


What I like most about this amp, is it's small enough to just have out, in my living room, plugged in and ready to go all the time. Nothing makes you NOT want to play the guitar more than having to lift a Marshal amp. It's got to weigh 200 pounds.

Speaking of pounds, I lost 5 pounds this week. It's not easy, but I'm doing it.

4 comments:

  1. From facial cleanser to shoes and FINALLY guitars. What could a Fender amp have to say to the Internet I wonder. Maybe it blogs about its owner. "This guy who just bought me, all he seems to know is Scorpions and Def Leppard. At least he plays 'Bringing On The Heartbreak' correctly."

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had a dollar for every time I heard you say "it was a little more than I intended to spend" I'd have enough for a talking amp of my own ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Martin is nicer.

    D'Arcy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good now you can practice some black keys tunes.

    ReplyDelete