Monday 28 May 2012

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

5 kilometers in 27 minutes and 14 seconds?

Really? REALLY? Yup,, your darn tooting. And you want to what? I did it. ME. I didn't have Bob and Jillian from The Biggest Loser screaming at me from a golf cart behind me. I didn't even have Adam behind me on his bike telling me to "get out of my way gramma" (heh heh, I actually like that). I just got out there and did it. I'm so proud of myself today. Is my goal of doing a 10K is 50 minutes in reach? I think it is. Yes yes, I know. I know. If I can get my 5K down to 25 minutes, doesn't automatically mean I can do my 10K in 50 minutes, but come on. I've been running for a month, that's it. If I keep this up, what will I be like on April 21, 2013, for the Vancouver Sun Run or more important, May 5, 2013 when Tamara and I "bring it" to the Vancouver Marathon.

You know, I think this is even more amazing becuase, it was was just 4 years ago I was laying in Royal Jubilee Hospital cardiac wing in the middle of a 4 hour heart operation with my heart surgeon deep inside my ticker burning away defective areas (14 in total). When my new family doctor heard about it after, she looked at me and said "you know, people that have what you just had fixed, usually drop dead at 45, hoenstly, they do". Well, I'm 45, I'm not dead, I'm far from it. I'm getting a hold of my life, in so many ways.

I almost didn't run today. It's grey, cool, raining on and off. At lunch I casually mentioned whether I would run or not tonight, and Craig looked at me and said "Why wouldn't you? It's your run day". thanks buddy. :-)

I've taken what I know, applied the things I've learned, listened to some GREAT advice (thank you very much Tamara), and just decided, I need to get in better shape.

I don't think I've ever felt so good on a Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my god if you keep this up I am going to have to start running again goddammit. It is pretty amazing how far you have come. Considering the first time I took you out for a run around rabbit lake yoh bitched so much the only thing that kept me going was the fantasy of drowning you when it was all over. I remember you saying " I hate running. Gave you ever seen a runner that looks like they are having fun? They all look like they are miserable and in pain and thinking 'I may be totally miserable but at least I'm in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pain'. Lol. Sucker! Totally hooked you! You got it bad now baby. :P

    Ps you can totally do a 50 min 10 k

    ReplyDelete